Wondering What Steps to Writing a Research Paper are the Most Time-Consuming
However difficult an assignment might seem to be, getting started can be the key to tackling it. So what are steps to writing a research paper? We are going to discuss steps to writing a good research paper. Be sure to consider them the next time you are writing your next assignment.
- Understand the project and create a schedule
One of the main problems student face when trying to learn the steps to writing a research paper is understanding the assignment. Be sure to ask your professor or classmates’ questions such as:
- How long a paper needs to be (number of words and pages)
- Kind of citation the teacher prefers
- Types and number of sources allowed
- Due date
- Other formatting details such as subtitles, footnotes, double-spacing, headings
- Find a topic and question
Now that you know what the assignment is all about, its time you chose a question or topic to work on. Be sure to consider these things:
- Is the topic appropriate? Consider letting the professor approve it
- Narrow the focus of the paper
- Opt for a topic that interests both you and the reader
- Select a question that the assignment will answer
- Start the research
Once you decide the direction the paper will take, you can start looking for the information you need to write it. Note that sometimes you might need to change the topic depending on the information you get.
While looking for the information, be sure to:
- Use numerous information sources
- Allocate enough time
- Keep copies and records of the data you get
- Put the information in your own words
- Look for details that will support the questions or thesis
- Construct an outline
After you have all the information, you can now organize everything with an outline. An outline will group the notes you get together. An outline should have an introduction, the main ideas and their supporting details and a conclusion.
- Write a draft
Once your information is organized in an outline, the next step is writing the first draft. Note that you may have to write several drafts. As you write to ensure that you:
- Use your own voice
- Keep the information organized
- Cite your sources
- After completing the draft, ensure you proofread it
- Write the final draft
Compose a final draft after revising the initial ones. The final draft needs to have a clear organization, few errors and a correct format.
The information we have discussed should help you to write a paper. It doesn’t answer all the specific details, but you know how to draft your paper.